Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Creamed Sesame Dandelion Greens

I had such a delicious dinner tonight, and I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes I included, from the Greens Glorious Greens cookbook: Creamed Sesame Dandelions! Dandelion greens (that's right - the leaves from the dandelions growing in your yard!) have a bitter taste that may take some getting used to, but in this recipe, the bitterness is masked well by the tahini and garlic. Dandelion greens are so beneficial to our health, so it's worth a little bitterness. This recipe also uses calcium-rich tahini (a paste made from sesame seeds). I'm sorry I didn't include a photo - my husband and I gobbled them up before I could think twice about it!

Creamed Sesame Dandelions
2 cups water
1 pound dandelion greens, washed, stemmed and shopped into small pieces
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
salt to taste
2 tablespoons tahini
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoons tamari (naturally brewed soy sauce)
freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Bring two cups of water to a boil in large 10 or 12 inch skillet with a tight fitting lid. Add chopped dandelions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the cooked dandelion greens and set aside (you can save the liquid broth to drink as a hot tea - I know, may sound scary, but I do like it).

2. Heat oil over low to medium heat in the skillet and saute the garlic slices for 1 to 2 minutes, until light golden brown. Stir in the pre-cooked dandelion greens and a pinch of salt if desired. Cover to cook over low and heat for 1 to 2 minutes to let flavors mingle.

3. In small bowl, combine tahini, water and tamari and mix until creamy. Pour sauce into the pan with cooked freens and stir until thoroughly mixe. Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon juice if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment