Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Favorite Book!

Thanks to a friend and client, I recently finished reading a wonderful book - Learning to Breathe by Alison Wright. It's the true story of a woman, a photojournalist, who travels the world on different assignments. During one of her trips to Laos, a country in Southeast Asia sandwiched between Thaland and Vietnam, she is in a horrific auto accident when the bus she is on collides head-on with a logging truck. The story is about her immense struggles to survive, recover and understand how and why she lived at all.

I'm not sure if having gone through a cancer diagnosis myself is what made me feel so connected to this story, or if it's simply a very compelling book. I think what I feel so connected with is what Alison comes to understand during her recovery - that we are all connected. We share the same emotions and we all just breathe. We all can and will experience suffering or struggles on some level in our lives and we usually try to survive and continue on in life. I remember so strongly feeling that when I was told I had the big "C." I knew that it was simply my struggle at this point in my life. 

In any case, this is a book that a feel like I want to keep in the drawer of my bedside table forever and probably reread periodically. It's like my new good luck charm or something. Terrifying, uplifting and inspiring all at the same time! Alison Wright's website is: www.alisonwright.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment